[lsb-discuss] Re: lsb-discuss Digest, Vol 16, Issue 2

Peter Dolding oiaohm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 00:21:20 PDT 2007

> "Alan Cox" <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
>
> On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:44:38 +1000
> "Peter Dolding" <oiaohm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There exists a directory /lib/firmware for firmware.
> >
> > But that does not address another problem.  Third Party Drivers like
> > Nvidia and ATI and others.
>
> I wasn't aware Nvidia or ATI had any third party driver products assuming
> you mean things that are compatible with the kernel licence (see COPYING)
>
> That aside considering GPL third party modules

I was meaning anything that is not including in Distro kernels by
default.  This could be Nvidia and ATI or drivers that are not
accepted to the distro kernel.

> > I propose a new format and directory.
> >
> > /lib/3party This is the storage location for the installers of 3party drivers.
>
> Bad idea - number/name tricks don't work well for non English 1st
> language speakers

Open to a better name.  I was trying to keep length down.  thirdparty
seams a little long.

> > Under here name of driver as a directory name.
> > Inside the driver direct itself a description file.
> > The description file including:
> > *) Device object name.
>
> Who manages namespace uniqueness ?

Something I have not looked into why linux kernel <name>.o driver
files never overlap name.
> > *) The interfaces the driver will provide like in /dev and /proc.
>
> Ditto
Kinda the same why don't they overlap normally I would have to look into this.

I was not thinking of these as problems.

> > *) The command to cause driver to build,
>
> An LSB compliant base system need not have a full compiler suite installed

True expected limitation if you have add drivers something to add
there kernel complier will be required.  LSB gcc most likely will not
match the kernel used one.

> > *) Any particular kernel settings needing including driver dependancys.
> > *) Any particular kernel settings that will cause driver to fail.
>
> The kernel config system isn't currently specified for the LSB

I included them for sane testing before building.  For this to operate
Distro will have to provide own unique parts.

Mind you this did spot something I had over looked.   Freebsd and
other OS kernels if there should be a sub directory under it splitting
it.

This is a start.  Working out fine details are going to be the complex
bit.  I was more after if the idea was stupid or worth deeper
investigation.

Personally I see as a boost to desktop linux less times for users
having X11 or some other device they depend on fail because a driver
has not been reinstalled after kernel upgrade.

Peter Dolding