[lsb-discuss] ALSA vs. OSS

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Sep 13 12:19:03 PDT 2007

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 11:58 -0600, Darren Davis wrote:
>> So, I just talked with Greg and Takashi (since they are here at the
>> SUSE Labs conference with me).  They stated that from a kernel
>> perspective that their is standardization of the internal kernel
>> driver interface (not the user space interface), and Greg says this
>> is NOT and endorsement for choosing the ALSA API as the LSB sound
>> API standard.  So in short, ALSA may not be it (and most likely not).
>
> kernel.org folks are always evasive about standardization.  ;-)

not as much as you might think, these days

> Waiting for a new sound API that nobody is working on is not a plan
> for success.

no, but there's also an aspect of "policy" to what goes into
LSB, there has to be some agreement that a particular approach
is Best Practice.  We've spent a decade bickering about what that
term means (well, only five years for me personally :-),
but if there's actually active opposition from the kernel
community it tends to be hard to argue that something is BP.

I couldn't quite interpret the above one way or the other,
by the way.  It could be "we don't want ALSA to become the LSB
sound standard" or it could be "please don't take what has
happened inside the kernel as an endorsement of ALSA, we're
not actually making any recommendation".