[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2007-09-19

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed Sep 19 09:05:07 PDT 2007

Attendees: Stew, Jeff, Sam, George Kraft, Marc Miller, Nick Stoughton,
Mats, Alexey, Marvin, Darrin Davis, Kay Tate, Dan Kohn, Robert.

F2F: We're set for the first week of November, Wednesday through Friday
noon.  Robert: issues with end of week were with flights, ending at noon
should fix that.  Jeff will set up a wiki page and send the announcement
to the list today.

App data: Kay is still working on it.  Darrin: uploaded the data.
Alexey: imported into local db copy on linuxtesting.org, will be
available end of Sep.  Darrin: proprietary apps pretty much done.
openSuSE build process: thumbs-up from build engineers, need a project
for the data generation tools.  Alexey: build system open source?
Darrin: yes, can even build packages for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora.
Alexey: LSB as build target?  Darrin: has been discussed, in the futures
wiki.  Resource issue; will accept such a thing if done.  Alexey: tools
ready for this?  Darrin: should figure this out.  Jeff: if not ready,
should be a high priority to fix.  Mats: build_env is what's needed, no
one is working on it, 3.1 has some bugs.

George: conf call between TrollTech and a11y group on Qt 4 a11y.  We
should have a LSB representative.  Stew will be on.

Scheduling: Jeff will not be on the call next week.  Robert: let's take
up the issue at the end, depending on what else we talk about today.

Java.  Darrin: multiple JVMs is a problem at Novell.  Architectures are
also an issue.  Will be gathering stats on the various JVMs used by the
various Novell Java apps.  Jeff: LSB-compliant JVMs address the issue?
Darrin: that's part of the data they will be gathering.  Dan:
good-enough solution in LSB-compliant JRE?  Darrin: yes, that's the
idea.  Robert: people will use a LF JRE if it's provided for Linux
support.  Darrin: will report to the list, including specific JRE
dependencies.  Will need a broad sampling of JRE uses.  Apache and
Eclipse people may be good sources of info as well.  Jeff: LSB DB.  Sam:
Sun is working on a universal installer for their JRE.

ALSA.  Two sides to the issue.  Developers want something, and ALSA is
something, but audio/kernel types think ALSA is too low-level.
PulseAudio seems to be emerging as a candidate, but it's too early to
call yet.  ALSA the #1 missing API in the various Java runtimes.
Robert: should release using the new trial standard thing ASAP.  Also,
shipping ALSA enables apps to bundle higher-level APIs with their app.
May not be practical because of audio server issues, but is at least a
partial solution.  Deprecation should not be an issue with the ALSA API.
  Jeff: propose we commit to adding ALSA based on these factors, table
discussion unless new data comes back.  No dissent.

Next call: Robert: want to talk about the trial spec thing, but should
be discussed with the full contingent.  Skipping next week's call, then;
the next LSB call will be on October 3.

Alexey: openGL contacts?  Mats: we had a poster in the past, will look.