[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-04-02

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed Apr 2 09:19:12 PDT 2008

Attendees: Carlos Duclos and Jesper Thomschultz from TrollTech; Mats
Wichmann, LSB workgroup member of long standing and Intel employee; Stew
Benedict, developer for the LF; Dan Kohn, LF Chief Operating Officer;
Sam Hart, developer for the LF; Darren Davis, software support manager
for Novell (did I get that right?); Alexey Khoroshilov, manager of LSB
project for ISPRAS; Joseph Kowalski, LSB Sun community contact for Java;
Russ Herrold from SpikeSource; Ted Ts'o, LF technical manager; Jeff
Licquia, developer for the LF.

Introduce Joseph Kowalski.  At Sun almost 20 years; project lead for
SunOS 5/Solaris 2.  Started working in Java a few years ago.  Would like
to see more uniform installation of Java.  Sun and LSB pretty much
aligned.  JCK is being worked on.  Ted: Java certification is a serious
issue.  Java as part of the installation system, also enterprise apps
which require a particular JVM, also small to medium apps which work
with all JVMs.  How do we say that the LSB includes Java that meet those
goals?  Could require distros to ship a "JVM"; problem with community
distros because of certification requirements.  Could certify a
LSB-compliant JVM; is that possible under the Java rules?  Joseph: can
act as liasion, get to right people.  Sun's position: not high on list,
not many resources.  But, if we don't engage now, it could be painful
later.  On JCK: any JVM can be certified by sending a request to Sun.
Two major stipulations: must be predominantly based on OpenJDK (which
most are), and you can't say "94% compliant": compliant or not.  This
should be sufficient to certify a completely open source JDK.  Ted: can
you send us the link?  Joseph: should be prominent on OpenJDK site, will
send it by tomorrow.  Jeff: commuity distros can do builds and certify
as needed w/o hassle?  Joseph: yes.  Java only; JDK 7 will include newer
stuff, like Java Web Start.  Can't speak for the distros or other JVMs,
but there should be no roadblocks for 100% certified, open source Java
this calendar year.  Still concerns; standard needs two implementations.
  Dan: Sun's strategy to closed test suite?  Joseph: closed, available
but not free, more of a tracking thing from Sun's perspective, tied to
OpenJDK.  Ted: JCK license will be "free as in beer", can only use it to
test an implementation derived from OpenJDK?  Joseph: key is what "based
on" means.  100% black-box implementation wouldn't probably work, but
Sun intends to be rather liberal.  Could possibly do it now, but the
rules are still unclear.  Jeff: good long-term LSB strategy then would
be to require a Sun-compliant Java in distros, using this certification
strategy?  Joseph: yes.  Ted: not specify the policy, just the result.
Russ: right now, there are two alternatives for Java: closed-source with
indemnification (not suitable) and open-source (not complete).  So, no
current solution for CentOS.  Jeff: right, this is a long-term strategy.
  Ted: timeline?  Joseph: goal is to get OpenJDK into Ubuntu main.  Ted:
8.10 means complete by mid-year.  Joseph: more likely fall than summer.
  Ted: could start going down this path, make a decision end-of-year.
Maybe Java becomes trial-use.

Jeff: short term strategy?  Idea is to get the JVMs certified to the
LSB.  This is currently prohibited by Sun's policy; certification tied
to the service pack level of the distro used.  Joseph: not sure if
that's entirely correct, can find out.  May not be so picky on the
service pack/update level.  Ted: may also depend on who you talk to;
overcautious.  Would be nice to allow certification to the abstract LSB
platform.  Joseph: question of trust.  How much would Sun trust the LSB
to be stable enough?  SunOS/Solaris ABI compliance wasn't even 100%
(discrepancy on page size assumptions).  Joseph is not qualified to give
an answer.  Ted: could require more effort and conversation to make that
happen.  Joseph: can't hold "LSB" in your hand; can hold RHEL 5 or SLES
10.  Ted: we are expanding our tests.  Can also happen at the app level.
  Jeff: question is, can we meet the confidence level Sun would require?
  Joseph: do we need it?  Distro tests their JDK; LSB accepts that.
Maybe we don't need anything more than that.  Jeff: what about apps that
require a specific JVM?  Ted: example: Lotus Notes is bundled with a
specific IBM JVM; Ted runs it on Debian, on which the IBM JVM is not
certified.  Users are doing that unsupported; can we make that better?
Joseph: how to handle multiple JVMs on a single box?  Ted: each app
comes with its own bundled JVM.  Joseph: then the Java certification is
irrelevant; the whole app (including the JVM) becomes a LSB issue as-is.
  Ted: yes, correct; we'd like to make that possible.  Make it possible.
  Robert: is a short-term goal, we're close, will Sun certify?  Ted: two
problems--will the rules allow it, and will the JVM vendors do it?
Robert: question is, will Sun be willing?  What effort will Sun put into
it?  Joseph: common case is that the distro ships a trustworthy JRE.  If
the JRE is bundled, the app can do its own LSB certification.  Java cert
is irrelevant.  Believes that it is a desireable attribute for a JVM to
be LSB-compliant, because it will make the ISV's life easier.  Jeff: can
such an app be called a "Java app"?  Joseph: isn't it just "Lotus Notes"
or whatever?  Ted: what about the Java trademark issue?  Joseph: issue
between the JVM vendor and Sun, and the app vendor and the LSB.

Jeff: out of time.  Should continue the conversation.  Please review
posted call notes and correct the record.  Also, should continue the
conversation on the mailing list.

Jeff: next week is the LF Collaboration Summit; no call.  Next LSB call
will be two weeks from today.