[lsb-discuss] Using lsb_release for other purposes

Jiri Dluhos jdluhos at suse.cz
Tue Apr 8 04:37:45 PDT 2008

On Monday 07 April 2008, Wichmann, Mats D spoke thusly:
> Now to the question - I guess there's an interest in
> reporting on the presence of functionality sets roughly
> equivalent to LSB modules on top of the LSB platform.
> If these functionality sets are expressed through the
> package manager that's fine at install time, but otherwise
> we have no defined mechanism for querying - the LSB
> does not require any way to query the package manager
> at runtime for what it has installed.
>
> Would it be a good idea to allow the extension of the
> lsb_release machanism for developers to express the
> presence of functionality as described above?  The LSB
> specification impact would be that we'd have to enshrine
> either /etc/lsb-release.d or an equivalent directory that
> packages can write into, and enforce some namespace
> rules on the contents of the directory; as well as
> extending the number of fields reported back by the
> lsb_release command itself.

Hi everyone,

I think this is an excellent idea. lsb_release is already established command,
is easy to implement and quite flexible. I can imagine it providing a wide
palette of various information about the system.

Best regards,

    Jiri Dluhos

Jiri Dluhos, LSB development           jdluhos at suse.cz
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.                     http://www.suse.cz
Lihovarska 1060/12                     tel: +420 284 028 969
190 00 Praha 9                         fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic