[lsb-discuss] LSB web site

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Apr 9 11:14:33 PDT 2008

Amanda McPherson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:22 AM, Dan Kohn <dan at dankohn.com> wrote:
>> in another month, we're launching the Linux Developer Network.  This
>>  will be a much better entry point than the book.
>
> We will be launching  a new site and framework in a few months. But
> the fact remains that much of the info in the book has to be updated.
> Cal has been hired to do this and will do a lot, but the community
> around the LSB also has to participate. We will have a new framework
> that should make submitting content easier, but I hope that the LSB
> community will make updating content like this a priority.

the book has not been touched since it was originally published
in hardcover form, so clearly it hasn't been a priority. In my own
case, it's simply fallen below the line below which tasks don't
get time. There is a bugtracker category for the LSB Book, some
issues are recorded there.  I encourage people who find problems
with the book like the one from the referenced conversation,
which is a historical one (at the time, we were waiting for
native Posix threads to become the accepted norm, so the book
suggests threads are not part of LSB).

I'm not interested in offending anyone, so I'll phrase my
reserveration on spending too much time on the book:  the
approach was the logical one at the time, but I don't believe
that the order and emphasis of presentation of this book takes
today's potential audience to the right place quickly enough.
If I were allocating time for content development I'd put it
into the LDN, not in trying to repurpose the book.

Just my opinion.