[lsb-discuss] LSB 3.2 Compliance Report: Sun JRE 6 (update 5) on x86

Alexey Khoroshilov khoroshilov at ispras.ru
Thu Apr 10 08:11:48 PDT 2008

Alexey Khoroshilov wrote:
> Please find attached a report on LSB 3.2 Compliance of Sun JRE 6
> (update 5) package for x86.
>
> Hopefully it can help us with discussions on getting LSB compliant JRE
> and expansion of the standard.
Let me summarize the report on getting LSB compliant Sun JRE.

The report identifies several action items to be done by the LSB
Workgroup. At the same time the goal is not feasible without help from
the side of the JRE development team.

The action items for the LSB Workgroup are as follows:
*AI-1-1.* Consider possibilities to add into LSB 4.0 the interfaces
required by Sun JRE.
        If necessary initiate discussion with the JRE development team
on alternative solutions*.
AI-1-2.* Define LSB position regarding to pthread interfaces in libc.
*AI-1-3.* Investigate problems with ELF sections detected by lsb-appchk:
          - Section .eh_frame: sh_flags is wrong. expecting 2, got 3
          - Section .gcc_except_table: sh_flags is wrong. expecting 2, got 3
          - Dynamic Tag 0x6ffffffb unknown
*AI-1-4.* Investigate problems with RPM packaging in light of RPM
specification uplift.

The action items for the JRE development team are as follows:
*AI-2-1.* Escape of superfluous library dependencies. If it is
impossible report the reasons.
*AI-2-2.* Consider possibilities to replace usage of syscall() interface.
        Provide us details if it is not possible.
*AI-2-3.* Investigate possibilities to eliminate dependincies on isnanf,
atexit, __ctype_b, __ctype_tolower and __ctype_toupper. The alternatives
are __isnanf, __cxa_atexit, __ctype_b_loc, __ctype_tolower_loc and
__ctype_toupper_loc correspodingly.
*AI-2-4.* Investigate possibilities to eliminate dependincies on __snd_*
interfaces by using snd_* analogues.
*AI-2-5.* Make sure that usage of ioctl() and dlopen() satisfies to LSB
requirements.
*AI-2-6.* Change installation location from /usr/java/jre1.6.0_05 to
/opt/[sun|java]/jre1.6.0_05 according to FHS.
*AI-2-7.* (opt) Consider LSB recommendations on usage obsolete interfaces.

Comments are welcome.

--
Regards,
Alexey