[lsb-discuss] LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile

Robert Schweikert robert.schweikert at mathworks.com
Sat Apr 12 17:35:26 PDT 2008

Not trying to be nit picky but this sounds like the server profile we
briefly discussed. I think if we call the profile embedded it could be
confused with a profile for embedded/mobile devices and those of course
may have gtk+, qt, etc.

Robert

Dan Kohn wrote:
> I've covered this verbally with many folks, but I'd like to officially
> propose to the list an LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile.  This is an
> additional certification profile exactly equal to LSB 3.2, except that
> no tests need be passed from the X, qt, or gtk libraries.  The only
> distributions that may be certified as LSB 3.2 Embedded are those that
> ship neither the qt nor gtk libraries.  I.e., enterprise distros need
> to pass the regular the LSB 3.2 certification.
>
> The purpose of this new profile is for Carrier Grade Linux
> distributions, which are required to pass the LSB as part of
> registering as CGL 4.0 compliant.  Otherwise, they are forced to
> register under LSB 3.0, which is the last version of the LSB without
> the graphics libraries.  The LF would like to only have to actively
> maintain the LSB 3.2 test infrastructure, plus the LSB 4.0 tools
> currently under development.  Plus, there were a significant number of
> bugs fixed between LSB 3.0 and LSB 3.2, and 3.2 is able to make use of
> the dramatic improvement in test infrastructure.
>
> For now, LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile Certifications can use the existing
> Distribution Testkit Manager, and just request waivers on all
> graphical libraries.  In the future, we'll update those tools to
> choose between 3.2 regular and 3.2 Embedded Certification.  The LF is
> also very open to creating new profiles to match up to the libraries
> in the current mobile initiatives, including LiMo, Android, and
> Moblin.
>
> Thanks.

(robert.schweikert at mathworks.com)                        LINUX
The MathWorks Inc.