[lsb-discuss] RPM decision process

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Apr 16 10:34:58 PDT 2008

> The only places where our spec provides pain to ISVs is that rpmbuild
> can't be made to build them easily.  No ISV has told us that they
> would do RPMs, except that they need some RPMv4 feature, and that the
> spec is useless to them until they get it.

yes, but on the other hand, most generated packages fail the
lsb package checker, often because there are things it doesn't
know that are put in by the native rpm that's used for
construction.  we in fact use a platform whose state we
understand for our own builds, so we see less of this (there
are a couple of failure modes even for our own) but we can't
mandate that everybody use SLES10 for package construction.
Note that I'm only talking about the packaging step here.
Using rpm to control builds is not described at all by the
LSB and is not in scope for this discussion.