[lsb-discuss] Using BSD mtree as a simple "ISV ready" representation

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Thu Apr 17 14:23:11 PDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 5:11 PM, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> Jeff Johnson wrote:
>> As a preliminary attempt to try implementing "The Berlin
>> API" (whatever
>> that means), I have ported mtree(8) from some version of BSD closely
>> related to Mac OS X.
>
> Thanks; that looks very useful, and for more than Berlin.

The other usage cases for mtree @rpm5.org likely have analogues in
LSB too.

I want independent regression check that, indeed, rpm -Uvh (or whatever)
did whatever it was supposed to do. mtree(8) will solve that problem
nicely.

rpm5.org is likely to use a YAML parser (which is easiest conversion
from
existing mtree(8) specification). But XML parsers are not hard.

OTOH, the circus hoops necessary to achieve consensus on a XML
representation for anything are open to bikeshed discussions.

But if you do manage to define an XML spec for "The Berlin API" data,
I'll attempt an XML parser for whatever.

73 de Jeff who is gonna manage to avoid forwarding with this reply