[lsb-discuss] LSB format packaging and security

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Mon Apr 21 08:56:35 PDT 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:33 AM, Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:

> Jeff Johnson wrote:
>>

> I don't said that. I said that RPM is Obsolete. What I means? ...
> Well, people (Linux users) need something

And I said that we agree: RPM is obsolete.

My goal here is to encourage LSB _NOT_ to make the mistake
of continuing with the dogged insistence on "LSB format" packaging
without a clear purpose and understanding.

There is simply no reason (imho) in continuing a "standard" for
packaging.

rPath slide #2 dog-and-pony show presentation has (or has had) this
quote from me delivered on 8/12/2003 (slightly paraphrased because
the exact wording from 5 years ago is dim)

     RPM is dead. Users want file, not package, management.

Feel free to quote me (with permission and attribution of course).

Please also note my FOSDEM/2005 presentation, where XAR as a
container format was first proposed, if you need to understand
what "obsolete" means @rpm5.org wrto RPM development.

73 de Jeff