[lsb-discuss] FW: openSUSE RPM switches to LZMA payload

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Apr 21 09:14:35 PDT 2008

(from a different list)
Anders F Björklund wrote:
> http://news.opensuse.org/2008/04/18/announcing-opensuse-110-beta-1/
> "Important Changes Since Alpha 3
> # RPM payload switch to LZMA (results in smaller RPM packages and
> faster installation of them)"
>
> Their RPM 4.4.2 uses the LZMA_Alone format (created with "lzma -5")
> implemented by linking to the GIT version of liblzma: 4.42.3alpha
> So it should be compatible with the rpm5 version of LZMA payload...
> (and thus it still doesn't have any file magic present in the format)

Just a heads up.  There is at least one distro using a
bzip2 payload, and now we're about to see lzma.

The current LSB specification would not allow either
of these as currently written.  It's perhaps not
necessary to do so, but it should be noted this is
part of a reason why it's not trivial to construct
"LSB Conforming" rpms - you have to potentially know
something about the native defaults of the distro you
happen to be constructing on, and make sure you've
overridden that default if it doesn't suit (we had a
project to provide a wrapper script to do that for you
at one time, I don't think it ever got taken through
to release quality, though).

This is why it would be lovely (and at the moment a
far off dream) to see JBJ's proposed "LSB mode"
to rpmbuild become a widely distributed reality.