[lsb-discuss] Getting started with LSB

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Apr 22 06:51:41 PDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> If this is the wrong list, please point me to the proper place to
> address my questions.
>
> After attending the LSB meeting at the Linux Collaboration Summit two
> weeks ago, I decided to try to make Linux From Scratch LSB compliant.
>
> I downloaded the LSB 3.2 Distribution Testkit (IA32) and installed
> it, but I can't get it to run any tests.  The error I get is:
>
> Package

/test_suites/released-3.2/binary/runtime/lsb-tet3-lite-3.7-11.lsb3.i486.
rpm
> was not correctly installed.
>
> When I tried to install this rpm manually, I got:
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>          lsb-core-ia32 >= 3.0 is needed by
>          lsb-tet3-lite-3.7-11.lsb3.i486 /bin/sh is needed by
> lsb-tet3-lite-3.7-11.lsb3.i486
>
> 1.  Where do I get lsb-core-ia32 ?
> 2.  Why do I get /bin/sh is needed... ?  I tried it with a symlink to
> bash and I copied the full bash binary to /bin/sh and got the same
> error.
>
> My system is *not* RPM based (it is built form source) so the 2nd
> point may be something to do with not having /bin/sh in the rpm
> database.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi Bruce.  We do have our own procedure for this, I'm not
sure if you're interested in following it.  As I mentioned
in Austin, we have a build of our own based on LFS.

We build and install rpm from source first.

Then:

rpm --initdb
rpm --install --nodeps lsbsi-lsb-3.2.0-1.i486.rpm

this package drops in the /bin/sh dependency (rpm does these
things package-based, not file-based, so as you've seen
it does no good to just put it there manually - but LSB
does require /bin/sh to exist so go ahead and leave the
symlink).  Find this at:

http://ftp.linux-foundation.org/pub/lsb/impl/packages/lsbsi-lsb-3.2.0-1.
i486.rpm

you can download it, or if you think the built rpm is
working well enough, just plug that path in directly.
It will probably grumble at you about signing keys at
some point, which can be found here:

http://ftp.linux-foundation.org/pub/lsb/keys-for-rpm

Although a bit out of date, and written to a VERY minimal
(that is, not bootable) implementation, the testing procedure for
our Sample Implementation might have some bits of interest,
particularly stuff related to strange font requirements by
the tests:

http://www.linux-foundation.org/impl/lsbsi3.1-test.procedure.html

Feel free to come back with more questions next time it
gets stuck (or drop in to our irc channel for quicker answers!)

-- mats