[lsb-discuss] X11 Extensions for Fullscreen OpenGL

Robert Schweikert robert.schweikert at mathworks.com
Thu Apr 24 10:57:02 PDT 2008

Jan Emoti wrote:
> Are there other alternatives to using randr, since they say it only
> works with "recent versions of Linux" and there are "still have very
> serious issues" for some hardware?
>
> Given that randr omits all Radeon R100 series AND GeForce 1-7 series
> parts, would the loss of this massive installed-base discourage ISV's
> from linux?
>
> Is libXxf86vm not in lsb because it was once not included in Debian
> 3.1r2 on x86?
There are number of considerations for adding interfaces and/or
libraries to the LSB. Here is a list of the most influential criteria.

1.) Interfaces are stable and have been stable for a while
2.) Upstream support and interest in having library and/or interface in
the LSB
3.) Demand for library and/or specific interface
4.) library and/or interface is available in the distribution versions
we expect to certify agains a certain version of the standard
5.) Is there a reasonable amount of documentation
6.) Are there any unit tests

As you can see the decision process hinges on more than just one
distribution.