[lsb-discuss] Java

Joseph Kowalski jek3 at sun.com
Thu Apr 24 15:38:53 PDT 2008

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Joseph Kowalski wrote:
>>    3a  It is likely that most distros will desire to use JVMs which
>> can assert they are LSB compliant.  At this point in time, most
>> distros would want the "most easily supported" (and robust) JVM they
>> can get.
>
> I'm not sure this is correct.  Distro-provided JVMs may have good
> reason to break LSB application compatibility, as you note above.
OK.  I was just trying to provide additional info (or should I say,
"opinion").  This really doesn't effect what we actually write down, right?
> Of course, we want to eliminate gratuitous incompatibilities.  It
> would also be nice to enable conditional compilation, so you can build
> a JVM in "LSB mode", with a slow but standards-compliant
> implementation, or "native mode", with the volume turned up to 11.
> That would help with point 4:
A very good *implementation* suggestion, for JVM providers.
>> If we can agree on these 4 bullets (massaged as appropriate) we can
>> proceed to lower levels of specification.  If not, well, let's talk
>> (but I think we had rough agreement on the con-call).
>
> I think the plan is to assume that we can rely on Sun for most of the
> Java specs, testing, etc. via the published specs and a
> to-be-announced certification program for Linux distributions.
>
> As a fallback, in case Sun runs into more issues that delay the cert
> work, the Java specification can be released as a trial-use module.
I think I'm missing something here...

I'm a bit uncomfortable with "to-be-announced certification program for
Linux distributions".

I think Sun is on the hook (so to speak) to make sure that a FOSS
community wishing to produce a JVM can assert they are compliant.  I
think this has been done (delta, advertising it better).

I don't think Sun is in a position to certify distros.  We can only
provide them tools to make sure they conform to the specification.

I think its the LSB (Linux Foundation, whatever,...) job to provide any
such certification program for Linux distributions.  This should be just
like whatever the rules are for the rest of the LSB.  This test suite
will rely heavily on the JCK, but there are additions to be made (like
proper integration).   (Minor redistribution detail - see below.)

I thought the goal was produce a specification (the LSB) to which Java
Application vendors (from above) and JVM providers (from below) could
rely upon.

Maybe I should just sketch out the sequence of steps I see them:

    0)   Agree with these "high level" requirements.  (Perhaps we are
done here?)

    1)   Formalize what is "Java". ie: what are the appropriate platform
specifications (jek3 - probably easy)

    2)   Formalize installation paths and cli specifications (jek3 - but
perhaps a little controversial   :-) )

    3a)   Platform testing (JCK) - (Sun, only need a reference in the
LSB (appendix?))

    3b)   LSB/Java integration testing harness (lsb group)

Its only a schedule issue if as to if the "LSB Java specification" is a
trial-use module or not, right?

Could you tell me more of what you think a "trial-use" module is?  Is it
"just paper" or something more?

- jek3