[lsb-discuss] X11 Extensions for Fullscreen OpenGL

Jan Emoti emotican at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 10:13:00 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Robert Schweikert <
robert.schweikert at mathworks.com> wrote:

> Jan Emoti wrote:
>
> > Are there other alternatives to using randr, since they say it only
> > works with "recent versions of Linux" and there are "still have very serious
> > issues" for some hardware?
> >
> > Given that randr omits all Radeon R100 series AND GeForce 1-7 series
> > parts, would the loss of this massive installed-base discourage ISV's from
> > linux?
> >
> > Is libXxf86vm not in lsb because it was once not included in Debian
> > 3.1r2 on x86?
> >
> There are number of considerations for adding interfaces and/or libraries
> to the LSB. Here is a list of the most influential criteria.
>
> 1.) Interfaces are stable and have been stable for a while
> 2.) Upstream support and interest in having library and/or interface in
> the LSB
> 3.) Demand for library and/or specific interface

Whose demanding is important, particularly when some hardware and software
vendors have an incentive to discourage reverse-compatibility and encourage
planed-obsolesce, wasteful rewrites, and forced upgrades. Those that
complain the loudest are often working toward increasing the short-term
churn. They may have the best of intentions, just wanting to be appealing or
to win, but the consequence is everyone is left with a less mature platform
to build on.

If the baseline to be LSB-compliant is only set in the near past, those
vendors above will be in control and all those millions poor users that end
up the world's old hardware will not be running linux!

Can we really count on the benevolence and righteousness of another One
Laptop Per Child to be any better than a 200mhz machine with ALSA and OpenGL
hardware?

> 4.) library and/or interface is available in the distribution versions we
> expect to certify agains a certain version of the standard
> 5.) Is there a reasonable amount of documentation
> 6.) Are there any unit tests

Do unit tests for the lsb always require passing a test suite? What about a
library that uses a large variety of hardware where someone may have to be
perceiving the correct output. Does this have something to do with the "lack
of tests" and "completeness" mentioned on your website in regard to the
multimedia spec?