[lsb-discuss] X11 Extensions for Fullscreen OpenGL

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Mon Apr 28 11:06:00 PDT 2008

Jan Emoti wrote:
> Is there any example code out there that uses RandR to achieve fullscreen?

I imagine so.  The GNOME "Screen Resolution" capplet uses RandR, for
example, as would the xrandr utility.

> Would guess fullscreen tests are not possible since xtest is used to
> "test the X11 server with no user intervention."

No, unfortunately, not at this time.  But this is something we plan to fix.

> Reverse-compatibility should be just as important as
> forward-compatibility. It increases the range of the linux desktop,
> without neglecting that which has been tested by time. How likely is it
> that RandR would eventually include elderly hardware? No one has the
> incentive to go back port, so the potential user base for linux shrinks
> significantly.

It's my understanding (though I could have misread) that open-source
drivers do have backported RandR support, including drivers as old as
tdfx.  It's only the closed drivers that cause us trouble.

The LSB is for technologies that do, in fact, pass the test of time.
Xxf86vm wasn't one of them.

> Sounds better than leaving orphaned code behind. I wonder if lsbappchk
> would still see libXxf86vm.so an impediment?

No, if you use dlopen() to use it.