[lsb-discuss] X11 Extensions for Fullscreen OpenGL

Jan Emoti emotican at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 07:09:52 PDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Jeff Licquia <jeff at licquia.org> wrote:

> It's my understanding (though I could have misread) that open-source
> drivers do have backported RandR support, including drivers as old as tdfx.
>  It's only the closed drivers that cause us trouble.
>
> The LSB is for technologies that do, in fact, pass the test of time.
> Xxf86vm wasn't one of them.

Well then time may be passing by the closed drivers, which sounds good, but
it cuts out a huge percentage of the potential users from linux. Not only
that, but if any of those users did get linux installed and lost their
graphic acceleration, it would result in bad feelings for linux in wasting
their efforts.

>  Sounds better than leaving orphaned code behind. I wonder if lsbappchk
> > would still see libXxf86vm.so an impediment?
> >

> No, if you use dlopen() to use it.

Given that a large percentage of the world's graphics hardware is (still)
dependent on proprietary drivers, then in those cases randr may fail at
runtime, and what message should the user be given if Xxf86vm is no longer
around? Tell them to fetch it off the internet? Should it be then packaged
with the app, for each platform, kernel, and distro?