[lsb-discuss] Problem with alien

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Apr 30 14:57:49 PDT 2008

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently rebuilding the driver packages which I have created for
> testing to get LSB 3.2 packages. They needed some changes, as in LSB
> 3.2 there is no buildenv chroot any more and so I have to build in the
> actual system.

Hopefully this will be "g/buildenv chroot/s/any more/yet/"

> But now it seems that I have hit a bug in alien. I cannot convert one
> package as alien is not generating the debian/changelog for it
> correctly.

alien/dpkg is extraordinarily fussy about its changelog syntax (why?????
it's a freaking changelog, why should it kill a build?) and if you
expect to convert with alien you need to follow their syntax exactly.

several of us have run in to, and been irritated, by this in the past.

I can't tell you exactly what it thinks is wrong, and how to fix,
without seeing it (and maybe not even then).