[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-07-30

Dalibor Topic Dalibor.Topic at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 6 15:19:23 PDT 2008

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the minutes, Jeff, I unfortunately had a conflicting call on
>> Wednesday, so I couldn't join in this week.
>> I'd be glad to work with you to follow up on specific issues regarding
>> Java - is there are a list of open items?
>>

> I don't know that we have a complete list.  Some issues that come to mind:
>
>   - What version of the Java spec should the LSB refer to?

It should refer to Java SE 6.
>   - How will distro vendors acquire and run the Java test suite?

Through the OpenJDK Community TCK license agreement, assuming they use
OpenJDK.

Please see http://openjdk.java.net/legal/openjdk-tck-license.pdf for the
license,
http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp#k for the FAQ,
and http://openjdk.java.net/groups/gb/2007-08-23.html for additional Q&A.

If they use another implementation, then the vendor/provider would deal
with the
certification for them - for example when using a Java implementation from
another fine source of Java runtime technology on the PowerPC architecture,
a distribution would rely on the runtime vendor for certification.
>   - How will application vendors writing Java code certify to LSB?  Can
> we just bless the 100% Pure Java program, or is there more to it?

I don't think we need Java application vendors to certify to the LSB
specifically, as long as Java is just a runtime technology they use -
but if LSB starts including Java bindings to Linux-specific technologies
(like Qt Jambi, or Java Gnome) in future versions, that would be
something the LSB could look into.
>   - Are there any Linux-specific parts of Java that we need to document?
>   (JNI comes to mind.)
There are no Linux-specific parts of Java according to my knowledge. JNI
is part of the Java platform.

cheers,
dalibor topic

Dalibor Topic                   Tel: (+49 40) 23 646 738
Java F/OSS Ambassador           AIM: robiladonaim
Sun Microsystems GmbH           Mobile: (+49 177) 2664 192
Nagelsweg 55                    http://openjdk.java.net
D-20097 Hamburg                 mailto:Dalibor.Topic at sun.com
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer