[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-07-30

Dalibor Topic Dalibor.Topic at Sun.COM
Fri Aug 8 09:51:22 PDT 2008

On 08/08/08 16:53, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Also, I believe there are "Javas" that haven't passed the JCK but
> install into /usr/bin/java; gcj and kaffe come to mind.  I don't know
> that Sun pursues its trademark into the functional arena.  But perhaps
> Dalibor knows better.
I am not a lawyer, so my knowledge about trademarks, how Sun treats
them, etc.
is, to put it mildly, extremely limited.

The existing practice in distributions is to treat /usr/bin/java as a
symlink that's set
by distributions and/or their users to point to alternative
implementations,
i.e. neither kaffe nor gcj install directly into /usr/bin/java (or
anything else,
for that matter).

The general relevance of kaffe (with my kaffe co-maintainer hat on) as a
tool
in distributions has rapidly decreased since OpenJDK was released last
year, and
afaict all major distributors are now either already distributing or
planning to distribute
OpenJDK as the default runtime.

> My concern is that, if the JCK is too hard to run, not distributed with
> the rest of the test suite, and not integrated into DTK Manager, then it
> will simply not be run.  I don't think it's in our best interest to
> create a "de facto profile" where people claim to be LSB compliant
> "except for Java" and skip certification
I should add that a portion of the JCK is interactive - an introduction
to the subject (from the
mobile perspective) is at
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/alexeyp/archive/2007/05/interactive_tes.html

cheers,
dalibor topic

Dalibor Topic                   Tel: (+49 40) 23 646 738
Java F/OSS Ambassador           AIM: robiladonaim
Sun Microsystems GmbH           Mobile: (+49 177) 2664 192
Nagelsweg 55                    http://openjdk.java.net
D-20097 Hamburg                 mailto:Dalibor.Topic at sun.com
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer