[lsb-discuss] Linux Application Checker impressions

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Aug 8 15:35:18 PDT 2008

I just checked out
http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/lsb/downloads/linux-application-checker

It's pretty cool.  I tried it on Picasa, and it was
fun to watch.  It didn't find any surprises, but it was
comforting watching it try.

However, it seems to be missing a few tricks:

1) Shouldn't it have LSB profiles in its output (e.g. "your app is not LSB 3.1
compliant because...")?

2) it was delivered as a tarball rather than an LSB package.
While there's nothing wrong with tarballs, this
seems like an area where eating your own dogfood
might be appropriate.

3) One of these days it would be sweet if the Linux Foundation
had its own yum and apt repositories.  The problem is
that it's hard to tell people how to access these
(see http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/ for
my try at something similar).   I'm looking forward to
the day when PackageKit is on good terms with
Suse's One Click Install.  (I know, it sounds impossible,
but a guy can hope.)

4) It's hard to find from
http://www.linuxfoundation.org

- Dan