[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-07-30

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sat Aug 9 11:44:26 PDT 2008

> P.S.  With respect to governments and "open standards", there are
> plenty of "open standards" that have proprietary test suites.  There's
> nothing usual there.  In fact, the LSB is quite unusual that our tests

They are not open in the eyes of various governments, and in the drafts
of what defines an open standard that government should use in several
countries now.

We should be very careful about that.

> are published under a Open Source License.  Maybe there's something we
> can teach Sun about how it is perfectly possible to publish one's test
> suites under an Open Source license, and still be able to carry out a
> certification program.  (Other people can fork your tests, but the
> certification program hinges on the trademark, so the copyright
> license on the tests really don't matter; the excuse given on the TCA
> license agreement page for why the tests can't be open sourced really
> doesn't hold water.)

That doesn't help either if there are issues over the java name. I still
think its easier to dodge the problem nicely than get LSB tangled
directly into it.

Define where Java goes in LSB define wording for LSB + java, let Sun
carry on managing java certification as they've been doing and the two
standards stay cleanly apart.