[lsb-discuss] Linux Application Checker impressions

Alexey Khoroshilov khoroshilov at ispras.ru
Sun Aug 10 12:24:45 PDT 2008

Dear Dan,

Thank you for your feedback.

> I just checked out
> http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/lsb/downloads/linux-application-checker
>
> It's pretty cool.  I tried it on Picasa, and it was
> fun to watch.  It didn't find any surprises, but it was
> comforting watching it try.
>
> However, it seems to be missing a few tricks:
>
> 1) Shouldn't it have LSB profiles in its output (e.g. "your app is not LSB 3.1
> compliant because...")?

I have run Linux Application Checker on picasa-2.7.3736-15.i386.rpm and
have got the following Summary:

Some compatibility problems detected

    * There are 11 of 27 distributions that provide all the required
      libraries and interfaces.
    * The Application uses 10 external libraries incompatible with LSB 3.2.
    * The Application uses 7 external libraries without using interfaces
      in those libraries. The Application would be more portable if it
      is fixed to not use unneeded libraries.

The second line presents the summary of LSB compliance of the
application under test and it contains a hyper link to the list of the
"10 external libraries incompatible with LSB 3.2". More details are
available at the "LSB Certification" tab.

Do you mean to extend this information? Or may be to make its
representation more visible?

> 2) it was delivered as a tarball rather than an LSB package.
> While there's nothing wrong with tarballs, this
> seems like an area where eating your own dogfood
> might be appropriate.

We have the appropriate bunch of LSB packages as well. We discussed it
and decided to promote the tarball first of all because of developers
who are not allowed root access.

> 3) One of these days it would be sweet if the Linux Foundation
> had its own yum and apt repositories.  The problem is
> that it's hard to tell people how to access these
> (see http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/ for
> my try at something similar).   I'm looking forward to
> the day when PackageKit is on good terms with
> Suse's One Click Install.  (I know, it sounds impossible,
> but a guy can hope.)

The Linux Foundation provides software repositories since LSB 3.1 Update 1.

More details are available at
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/RepositoryInfo, which, I guess, is
the wiki page Mats mentioned.

It would be good if we update this information and publish at the new
LDN to make it more visible to end-users.

> 4) It's hard to find from
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org

That is true.

--