[lsb-discuss] Linux Application Checker impressions

Alexey Khoroshilov khoroshilov at ispras.ru
Sun Aug 10 15:30:43 PDT 2008

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Alexey Khoroshilov <khoroshilov at ispras.ru> wrote:
>
>>> 1) Shouldn't it have LSB profiles in its output (e.g. "your app is not LSB
>>> 3.1 compliant because...")?
>>>
>> [Linux Application Checker already outputs this in the summary]:
>>
>> "There are 11 of 27 distributions that provide all the required
>> libraries and interfaces.
>> The Application uses 10 external libraries incompatible with LSB 3.2."
>>
>> The second line presents the summary of LSB compliance of the application
>> under test and it contains a hyper link to the list of the "10 external
>> libraries incompatible with LSB 3.2". More details are available at the "LSB
>> Certification" tab.
>>
>> Do you mean to extend this information? Or may be to make its representation
>> more visible?
>>

> For some reason, I expected the list of distributions to
> include the various past versions of LSB (and possibly the
> upcoming draft LSB 4).
> You might do some usability testing
> and see if real users also expect the data to show up in the
> distro table rather than called out in a separate text line.
> I suspect some users might look only at the table.

You are right, we have to do more usability testing. Our current design
assumes that the summary at the top of the results page definitely grabs
attention of a newcomer. Might be it is not a valid assumption.

In any case, presentation of compliance to different LSB versions in the
table is a good idea.

> BTW another thing that was slightly harder than it should have
> been was to see which of our app's files were referencing which
> file.  I seem to recall that needed about three clicks more
> than I expected, which made it a little hard to discover.

At the moment we have two suggestions:
- to add application's files information to pop up detailed reports;
- to add an extra tab representing application's files, their internal
and external dependencies.

Any more ideas?

--
Thank you,