[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-07-30

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Mon Aug 11 11:46:19 PDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 07:10:04PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Under the circumstanes where a liticant might sue Sun, they can also
> > sue CentOS directly.  If you're not prepared for that eventuality,
>
> Only if CentOS is required by the LSB spec to ship a TCK verified
> trademark Java product. At which point the producers of the LSB may also
> have some additional liabilities - so it isn't in their interest either
> really is it ?

Even if we don't require a TCK verified Java product, to the extent
that Fedora is shipping any kind of Java VM, they are open to that
exposure.  Heck, if they shippe Kaffe and gcj they are open to a
certain amount of risk.  And of course, someone could sue a
distribution if Linux doesn't work correctly, or if a contributor
sneaks a back door into emacs, or vi, or gcc, or any one of the
thousands of packages that compose a Linux distribution.

I ask again --- what makes Java special?

							- Ted