[lsb-discuss] [Fwd: NSS public functions]

Howard Chu hyc at symas.com
Mon Aug 11 13:42:12 PDT 2008

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Howard Chu wrote:
>> Since NSS is inextricably dependent on NSPR, the inclusion of NSS in the LSB
>> implies that NSPR must also be in the LSB. No?
>
> Not unless reference to NSPR must be made in the source code of the
> application to use NSS (or, at least, the portion of NSS that we specify).

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/ref/ssl/sslintro.html#1027662

Initialization
Initialization includes setting up configuration files, setting global
defaults, and setting up callback functions. Functions used in the
initialization part of an application can include the following:

     * PR_Init. Initializes NSPR. Must be called before any other NSS functions.

> If the dependency is hidden, then we consider that to be an
> implementation detail.

It is not hidden, the two are tightly intertwined.

--
   -- Howard Chu