[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-07-30

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Aug 12 00:19:26 PDT 2008

> No. command line utility names don't seem to be trademarkable.
> Distributions have been distributing /usr/bin/java implementations under
> the GPL (gcj, kaffe, classpath) without any need for trademarks.

Caselaw citation please ?  I refer you to the SSH v openssh saga. I don't
believe that one ever hit a court of law but it shows the problem can
come up. As I keep saying Sun can trivially fix this by making a simple
official statement on the question. Estoppel does the rest.

> And passing the ("OpenJDK") JCK doesn't give any trademarks rights.
> So, while the binaries of IcedTea as shipped by Fedora (on x86 and x86_64)
> pass the TCK the result still cannot be called Java (TM). As far as I know
> Sun hasn't published any document or agreement to make this possible
> whether or not the implementation passes the TCK.

Then we have an even bigger problem and LSB blocker.

> It isn't days, but certainly many hours. But it can certainly take up
> to a whole day because of all the interactive tests that need human
> interaction.

And another..