[lsb-discuss] RPM build tool

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Tue Aug 12 11:34:54 PDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 06:57:00AM -0400, Stew Benedict wrote:

> One big shortcoming with the tool is how to create the files on disk with
> the desired file mode and ownership as non-root. I'm presuming people that
> are currently shipping tarballs (which is the type of audience the tool is
> targeting) solve this problem somehow (sudo make DESTDIR=foo install?).
> The tool then inherits the file mode of the files under pkgroot.

Right now makelsbpkg uses the current owner/permissions of the files,
right?

One easy way of dealing with the problem would be to just include a
copy of fakeroot from Debian in as build utility; that would deal with
the problem without a huge amount of effort.

In the long run extending the tool to have a way to default most files
to map to a particular uid/gid with an exception list would be a good
thing to add.  Clearly, the fact that we need this sort of
functionality is a pretty good hint that ISV's that want to use this
tool will have the exact same issue.

							- Ted