[lsb-discuss] RPM build tool

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Aug 12 12:27:26 PDT 2008

Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 06:57:00AM -0400, Stew Benedict wrote:
>>
>> One big shortcoming with the tool is how to create the files on disk
>> with the desired file mode and ownership as non-root. I'm presuming
>> people that are currently shipping tarballs (which is the type of
>> audience the tool is targeting) solve this problem somehow (sudo
>> make DESTDIR=foo install?). The tool then inherits the file mode of
>> the files under pkgroot.
>
> Right now makelsbpkg uses the current owner/permissions of the files,
> right?
>
> One easy way of dealing with the problem would be to just include a
> copy of fakeroot from Debian in as build utility; that would deal with
> the problem without a huge amount of effort.
>
> In the long run extending the tool to have a way to default most files
> to map to a particular uid/gid with an exception list would be a good
> thing to add.  Clearly, the fact that we need this sort of
> functionality is a pretty good hint that ISV's that want to use this
> tool will have the exact same issue.

or maybe it's an indication that rpm, which has already dealt with
all of this stuff and is well proven, should be encouraged instead of
dismissed.  it's one thing if we have people with existing packaging
mechanisms who want to use those on all their products, including
Linux ones.  but if they're going to adopt a tool that's Linux-only
anyway,  as this one would be,  then why not stick with rpm?