[lsb-discuss] RPM build tool

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Tue Aug 12 13:20:08 PDT 2008

Stew Benedict wrote:
> While I agree in principle (more eating our own dogfood), it's going to
> take a pretty significant engineering effort to retool all our builds to
> use makelsbpkg rather than rpm itself. The tool isn't really designed to
> replace rpm, but to make an easy way to package for folks that tell us
> creating a spec file is too hard.

At the moment, I'm not sure it's necessary.  Building with rpm still
works (with some limitations).

There may be a number of places we can use makelsbpkg to good effect.
I'd be in favor of doing it on a per-project basis as a low-priority
task; the idea being "we won't reject patches to switch to makelsbpkg as
long as building that way doesn't introduce regressions".