[lsb-discuss] NSS: soname problems and compatibility issues

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Tue Aug 26 11:17:08 PDT 2008

It's been discussed in IRC, but probably should be discussed a little
more formally.

The proposed NSS spec uses libnss3.so and libssl3.so as the library
filenames.  But some poking around by a few people revealed that not all
distros provided this file.

(Additionally, there was a claim on a mailing list that some sonames
were changed because of incompatibility issues.  But we seem to have
lost that reference.)

On my own, I've found that Debian 4.0 (etch) provides this:

/usr/lib/libsmime3.so.0d
/usr/lib/libssl3.so.0d
/usr/lib/libsoftokn3.so.0d
/usr/lib/libnss3.so.0d
/usr/lib/libsoftokn3.0d.chk

while on Debian testing (lenny), we see this:

/usr/lib/libnss3.so.1d
/usr/lib/libnssutil3.so.1d
/usr/lib/libsmime3.so.1d
/usr/lib/libssl3.so.1d
/usr/lib/libssl3.so
/usr/lib/libsmime3.so
/usr/lib/libnssutil3.so
/usr/lib/libnss3.so

Is this something we should be concerned about?