[lsb-discuss] NSS: soname problems and compatibility issues

Robert Relyea rrelyea at redhat.com
Tue Aug 26 11:44:24 PDT 2008

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> It's been discussed in IRC, but probably should be discussed a little
> more formally.
>
> The proposed NSS spec uses libnss3.so and libssl3.so as the library
> filenames.  But some poking around by a few people revealed that not all
> distros provided this file.
>
> (Additionally, there was a claim on a mailing list that some sonames
> were changed because of incompatibility issues.  But we seem to have
> lost that reference.)

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues. Any that arise are p1 bugs
for NSS upstream. We specifically design new versions to slide in under
old versions so older apps can always user a newer version of NSS.
> On my own, I've found that Debian 4.0 (etch) provides this:
>
> /usr/lib/libsmime3.so.0d
> /usr/lib/libssl3.so.0d
> /usr/lib/libsoftokn3.so.0d
> /usr/lib/libnss3.so.0d
> /usr/lib/libsoftokn3.0d.chk

We (the NSS team) ran into a similiar issue with Umbuntu. After
discussing with their packager, we've resolved that future versions
would have the libnss3.so name without the extension.

bob