[lsb-discuss] Question from an AppChecker user...

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Dec 12 10:52:35 PST 2008

As far as I know, AppChecker has boxes to submit "errors" as "request for future LSB feature" - I haven't looked at this in detail but predecessor tools (atk-manager) had this.

I'm assuming from the rest of the context "kernel API" means an interface for drivers to use.  If such a thing truly stabilizes, then someone could propose to include it; while LSB has been asked for it many many times, I can say as an internal statement - maybe this is not what you pass on - that LSB is not working on that with anyone right now.

I think dkms is considered an interim solution until other things evolve (as discussed above).  I'd say if it's really considered interim it would be unlikely for LSB.

This sounds negative;  the essence is that LSB has been focused on a different layer of application portability than is implied by talking directly to the kernel.  I *know* there are applications that have a driver component, and those have always seemed problematic for the apps which have a driver piece.  It would take some sort of conscious decision for LSB to start focusing on that area, which doesn't mean it couldn't happen someday.