[lsb-discuss] LSB 4.0 Release Candidate 1

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Tue Dec 23 09:34:48 PST 2008

I am pleased to announce the availability of LSB 4.0 Release Candidate 1.

This version of LSB 4.0 has been put in the normal release directories,
but IS ONLY A RELEASE CANDIDATE!  In particular, certification is not
yet open for LSB 4.0.

We are continuing to use the previously-announced beta page for
accessing information on LSB 4.0 prereleases.  That page can be
found at:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/LSB_4.0_Beta

You can view and download the specification from there, or download our
test suites, Software Development Kit, and Sample Implementation.

Debian repositories can be accessed via this sources.list line:

deb http://ftp.linuxfoundation.org/pub/lsb/repositories/debian lsb-4.0 \
   main

Repo files for yum are provided under the yum repository top-level
directory here:

http://ftp.linuxfoundation.org/pub/lsb/repositories/yum/lsb-4.0

The improvements in LSB 4.0 can be found in our preliminary release notes:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/ReleaseNotes40

Some of the changes from LSB 4.0 Beta 2:

  - Many bugs and corner cases fixed.

Some of the highlights of LSB 4.0:

  - The SDK now supports LSB 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and 4.0 in one single
download, and can switch between them at application build time.

  - The Sample Implementation is brand-new, and is now based on the
Conary technology from rPath.

  - A new set of tools for the Sample Implementation makes use of the SI
much easier.

  - The SDK now provides a tool for easy building of LSB-compliant packages.

  - Many updates to already-shipping standards, such as glibc, Qt 4, and
GTK+.

  - Many new standards, such as Cairo, NSS, and the Java language.

We would appreciate any last-minute feedback.  Please see:

http://bugs.linuxbase.org/

to see the current status of LSB 4.0, and to report any issues you may
discover.

Some important known issues:

  - The Sample Implementation is still in beta, and updates for it will
appear on the LSB 4.0 Beta page as they arrive.