[lsb-discuss] Java

Robert Schweikert robert.schweikert at mathworks.com
Fri Feb 1 05:24:25 PST 2008

 >> Secondly, is Java relevant any longer?

Yes, Java is very relevant. Many applications use Java. This means the
LSB has to deal with it in some way shape or form.

 From all the responses it appears that option 2 of my previous post is
favored, i.e. assure that the LSB has all the necessary interfaces any
given JRE needs. As a second step reach out to JRE/JDK implementers to
get their version certified. Using this approach might satisfy all
concerns/comments posted.

a.) App vendors can still ship the JRE version they want and they can
certify to the LSB
b.) Since we do not touch Java directly there shouldn't be any legal
c.) We do not have to deal with different JRE versions for different
d.) We will not force the "one true Java" down anybodies throat
e.) The maintenance hassle is certainly less
f.) We do not pick a "winner"

That said I think an effort will have to be made to upload all the
required interfaces for all JREs into the navigator and then have some
automatic query which tells us what needs to be added to the LSB to
satisfy the JRE requirements. We know alsa was one issue, but I am sure
there are more.

I propose the following action:
- make a list of all available JREs for Linux per platform
- get the JREs and get the interface requirements into the navigator
- create some script which runs once a week or month to generate a
report with respect to missing interfaces for all JREs

Since the JREs evolve this procedure should be automated somehow such
that we get the latest version of each JRE on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.

Robert Schweikert                       MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
(robert.schweikert at mathworks.com)                 LINUX
The MathWorks Inc.
Phone : 508-647-2042