[lsb-discuss] Java

Robert Schweikert robert.schweikert at mathworks.com
Fri Feb 1 06:04:17 PST 2008

George Kraft wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 08:24 -0500, Robert Schweikert wrote:
>
>> I propose the following action:
>> - make a list of all available JREs for Linux per platform
>> - get the JREs and get the interface requirements into the navigator
>>

> That would be interesting to learn.  FYI, it took the LSB a while to
> design the database to hold C++.  I wonder how well it would accommodate
> Java?

I am not trying to add Java interfaces to the navigator. At some point
the JRE/JVM is in touch with the underlying OS (distribution). These
contact point are the interfaces we need to capture. Once these
interfaces are part of the LSB then (for all available JREs) then
JRE/JVM suppliers can certify as can ISVs shipping their favorite JRE.
> I don't want to drag this Java discussion along much further, but what
> about libgcj?  Would that be a compromise?  The above suggested
> information gathering could be used to gather requirements for libgcj.
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/java/

Yes, but if we were to add Java class library info to the navigator and
try to get that information into the LSB it would appear to me more like
trying to create an lsbjre, an option I think has some strong opposition
based on previous posts to this thread.

Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                       MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
(robert.schweikert at mathworks.com)                 LINUX