[lsb-discuss] Building lsb compliant apps

Robert Schweikert robert.schweikert at mathworks.com
Fri Feb 1 11:33:21 PST 2008

Starting this thread based on discussions that occurred while we were
discussing how to handle Java. Issues addressed here are important and
should not be mixed with the Java discussion.

Ted Tso wrote:
"2) A large enterprise application which ships with a JRE, but it is a
JRE which is not LSB certified.  (The JRE could have been LSB
certified if it was built with the LSB build tools, but the JRE
provider chose not to LSB certify it, for whatever reason.)"

Robert Schweikert wrote:
"In this case the ISV can put pressure on the JRE provider to get the
JRE certified. On the other hand the only requirement an app (or JRE
implementation) not built with the lsb tool chain will not meet w.r.t.
LSB spec is the dynamic loader, and we have discussed in the past
whether requiring a special loader is still the best approach.

Further on this, although of topic w.r.t. our Java discussion, we should
consider if it is feasible to allow people to build without lsbcc and
provide a recipe on how to get an LSB compliant application that way."

Ted Tso wrote:
"That's somewhat of a separable question. It's an important one, to be
sure, in that it would become easier for ISV's to generate LSB compliant
applications if they didn't need to use a special build environment.
(Although the build environment is also useful for flagging in advance
if ISV uses a flag bit to some syscall or symbol that's not defined in
the LSB.)

But it does serve an interesting and useful purpose in case a
distribution's native libraries export an LSB incompatible ABI. There
might be other ways of accomplishing the same goal, though, so maybe
that's something we could think about revisiting for LSB 4.0. (For
example, we could require that LSB applications have a magic ELF section
that indicates it is an LSB application, and that way, if necessary, we
could replace a distribution's ld-linux.so with one which checks for the
presence of the ELF section --- and the magic ELF section could be
easily added via the objcopy command.)"

--
Robert Schweikert                       MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
(robert.schweikert at mathworks.com)                 LINUX