[lsb-discuss] There is no good package management for LSB packages

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 03:03:04 PST 2008

The LSB provides a way to supply software in distribution-independent
packages so that one can simply support Linux with a software.

During the implementation of distribution-independent printer/scanner
driver packages automatically downloadable from the OpenPrinting web
site we have discovered that some important features are missing:

- Handling of electronic signatures to assure that the packages are
really the original ones

- Handling of automatic updates, especially to fix security problems,
doing automated updates every 24 hours

The distributions provide these features by their package managers, like
YaST, yum, urpmi, apt-get, ... Unfortunately, every distro has its own
tool here. We will need some mechanism to do this in a
distribution-independent way, for LSB packages.

Perhaps this is also a reason why the LSB did not get very well adopted yet.

Any ideas?

    Till