[lsb-discuss] Looking at 4.0 work

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Feb 12 14:01:28 PST 2008

Jeff and I have been hacking away at the project
plan wiki page, bugs, and attendant detail pages,
and it's probably pretty different than what it
looked like the last time most of you scanned it,
so it's worth another look:

https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/ProjectPlan40

One interesting section is the section entitled

Here I tried to gather from the various sources we
have the libraries that are compelling candidates
from the demand side.  It's likely that many of those
are less compelling candidates when other issues
are looked at, which is why I add that qualifier -
lots more research is needed here.

Statistically, there are 28 libraries on the "proposed"
list specifically; all but five of them appear in
the top 60 in usage recorded by the latest Navigator
Community Data.  And of those five, three are in the
category of "relatives" of other things that *are*
high in the list.

A special category is the SSL question, which we don't
yet have an answer for, but the OpenSSL libraries
(libcrypto and libssl) are very high on the usage list,
and an alternative, libnss3, which is the Mozilla NSS
library being used as an alternative by some projects,
is also in the top 100).

I've also listed the other libraries in the Top 80
which are not Gnome/KDE specific and not otherwise
on the list (there are some libraries on the proposed
list one might consider Gnome-specific, in particular
libgconf-2, there's a reason for that).

There's also a great deal of other material on this
page that appears as candidates for completing in LSB 4.
The problem, of course, is that there's far more work
here than I think anyone would believe current resources
can complete. Certainly the import/reimport/uplift of
as many as 50 libraries is a significant bite by any
measure and the work for LSB4 is not limited to libraries.

So my request would be that anybody that has specific
information to add about the material on this page
and linked resources do so.  We have several ways this
could happen: comments on this page; comments on the
linked pages; comments on the linked bugs; mail to
the mailing list. There's also probably material that
we've either left out, or glossed over to the point
where it's not clear what is expected to be worked on
in a particular area, comments on such items are also
more than welcomed.

The most important task for the LSB Project in the next
few weeks will be narrowing down on the work list for
LSB 4.0, starting with the conference call tomorrow, but
certainly not ending there.  Please contribute what you
can to working out the plan for this very important release.