[lsb-discuss] RE: Question of LSB DDK for printing

Tatsuya Saito saitou-t at mxd.nes.nec.co.jp
Wed Feb 13 04:53:14 PST 2008

Till-san,

Thank you for quick response.

I missed it in mail.
I wrote correctly "%adjust_ppds" in spec file.

> >   I try to use it, but didn't add absolute path on "*cupsFilter".
> >   You wrote
> >     It also adds absolute paths to the filters in the
> "*cupsFilter" lines
> >     and in the "*FoomaticRIPCommandLine" lines.
> >   in the document.
> >

> Here I must see your spec file and your package source. Can
> you send me
> your source RPM? Or at least the spec file and the PPDs where
> the paths
> are supposed to be inserted?
I have some reason I cannot give you my source file. sorry.

> >   On other hand, I can run my filter because %set_cups_links links
> >   All files in /opt/supplier/cups/lib/filter into system's
> CUPS filter
> > directory.
> >   So I think rpmmacros does not need to add absolute path
> in %adujst_ppds.
> >

> These are two alternative methods where the driver developer
> can choose.
rpmmacros don't add absolute path on "*cupsFilter" if "filternames"
is defined.
So if I want to use "filternames", I must use %set_cups_links.
Is it ok?
If ok, what's reason why we need "filternames"?

> > 4) %set_opt_paths and %init_scriptlet
> >   My spec file includes these macros, but not adds /opt/supplier/bin
> >   to PATH env after install.
> >   It means my executable modules in /opt/supplier/bin cannot run...
> >

> You must log out and log in again, or reboot to make sure
> that it is in
> the PATH for the whole system.
There is a problem if we have to reboot for adding path.
I think I should be able to use driver soon when I installed it,
don't need reboot, or re-log.
Now, almost drivers for linux do it.

By the way, I reboot after install, but PATH env isn't added my bin path.
I have same issue with splix driver (that you made it). I check it in Debian
etch
with lsb package. This case, rpmmacros added some code in /etc/profile,
but not work.

> > 5) Testing on buildenv or LSB simple implementation
> >   For testing, I try to print some postscript on lsb-buildenv.
> >   Of course, I red your document and LSB tutorial and make
> environment
> >   with LSB3.1 rpms and LSB DDK.
> >   But I have following lpr command error...
> >     lpr: connect: No such file or directory
> >     jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
> >   I thought it may be my driver's problem, so tried splix
> driver[3] on
> >   same environment. I failed too...
> >   Do you know this error case with LSB DDK?
>
> Make sure that "lpr" is really the one of CUPS. For that the
> LSB package
Thank you for you help!
I can print to file using "lpr" in /opt/cups/bin.
Of cource, I already switched CUPS daemon.

But I cannot print to printer using lpd backend...
Spool file was created completely.
But error_log has following message and spool file isn't transfered to
printer.
   Unable to reserve port: Invalidargument

This message is also shown with splix driver package.
Do you know some info for this problem?

> environment. Note that
> if you print from your system, outside the build environment,
> that then
> also the CUPS daemon of the build environment is used (this
> way you can
> test sending print jobs from your system's applications through the
> printer drivers which you are testing).
Thank you for teaching good idea for testing!