[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-02-13

Darren Davis ddavis at novell.com
Wed Feb 13 13:02:06 PST 2008

Jeff Licquia wrote:
> Attendees: Jeff, Stew, George Kraft, Sam, Jesper, Mats, Darrin Davis,
> Robert Schweikert, Carlos Duclos, Marvin, Alexey, Kay, Russ Herrold
>
> Carlos: F2F?  Jeff: at Collaboration Summit, week of April 7.  Actual
> Summit starts Tuesday, LSB-specific stuff starts Thursday, extends
> past the LF Summit to Friday and Saturday.  Mats: Ted's email to the
> list has the info.
>
> Java.  Jeff:  Kay: the people who own the Java runtimes should be
> creating the LSB-compliant JDK.  Robert: agree, the LSB should provide
> what the JRE needs in 4.0, and the JRE owners should then certify.
> Darrin: certifying class paths?  Want Java apps to drop on LSB system
> and it have a good chance of running.  Robert: should distros install
> a LSB-certified Java runtime?  Can we get a LSB JRE certified by the
> 4.0 release?  Kay: working on Java 6 JRE runtime.  What does it mean
> to make it trial use?  Jeff: start gathering data on the status of
> JREs in the distros.  Kay: would a trial use standard help to boost
> need for LSB certification of the JRE?  George: yes.  Kay: specifying
> where jars get installed is an important part.  Robert: for 4.0, get
> JRE-required symbols, get JRE vendors to certify, standard class path
> in trial use. Darrin: JPackage allows multiple JREs; maybe the LSB
> should do that too.  George: how does JPackage handle multiple JVMs?
> Darrin: will research and send to the list.  Jeff: is there a standard
> class path already? Darrin: JPackage covers this as well.

OK, pretty straight forward.  First to deal with the multiple JVMs, we
just use the Debian update-alternatives system.  Talked about here;

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-customizing.en.html

I also found another implementation here;

http://alternatives.sourceforge.net/

The Linux/Debian Alternatives system is talked about with JPackage, but
JPackage doesn't implement that.  It's goals are pretty straightforward
from their website http://jpackage.org/

> The JPackage Project has two primary goals:
>
> To provide a coherent set of Java software packages for Linux,
> satisfying all quality requirements of other applications.
> To establish an efficient and robust policy for Java software
> packaging and installation.
> We focus on free and open source software whenever possible. For
> convenience, we also provide non-free packages without the restricted
> source code.
So, I recommend from the JPackage project that we investigate the
JPackage Utilities.