[lsb-discuss] Question of LSB DDK for printing

Tatsuya Saito saitou-t at mxd.nes.nec.co.jp
Sun Feb 17 16:52:37 PST 2008

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Are you giving the filter name(s) with absolute path, for example with
>
> %define filternames /opt/nec/bin/pngtoneclaser
>
> In the PPD all occurences of "pngtoneclaser" will be replaced by
> "/opt/nec/bin/pngtoneclaser".
No, I wrote only filename like "pngtoneclaser".
And, the macro don't replace filename in PPD when I gave absolute path
 with splix driver spec added absolute path.
Is it the macro's problem?

> If you filter is a CUPS filter, for example
> "rastertoneclaser" you can
> use "%set_cups_links" and do not need "filternames" then. But using
> "filternames" as I described above and not using "%set_cups_links"
> should also work.
Thank you for help.
I'll use defining filternames or %set_cups_links.

> This looks like a bug of your distro, /etc/profile should be
> executed at
> least on boot or login. For the printing itself you will usually not
> need to add something to the PATH, filters can have absolute paths in
> the PPD or they can be linked to /usr/lib/cups/filter.
OK.
I'll check my environment more.

> The facility to add the driver's executable directory to the PATH is
> more to simplify the call of maintenance tools, like ink
> level checks, ...
I think so too, but this way cannot add path immediately after install.
It causes a problem If drivers are Open Printing Vector Driver of IPC
extension Type[1].
OPVP of IPC extension Type needs executable module to run printer driver.
So I hope that we can add path(or some way to run module, for example
symlink to /usr/bin)
 immediately after install with using the macro.

[1] http://lx1.avasys.jp/OpenPrintingProject/index_e.html

> Seems to be a problem of the "lpd" backend in the chroot. Can
> you check
> the permissions of the backend (/opt/cups/lib/cups/backend/lpd in the
> chroot)? They must be 700 and owner and group must be root.
> cupsd itself
> must also run as root (do not change the configuration of the CUPS in
> chroot to let the daemon run as normal user). With this the
> "lpd" will
> be run as root which is needed to access the LPD port 515.
I checked them, but no problem....
I'll check my environment more.

Thanks.