[lsb-discuss] Looking at 4.0 work

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Tue Feb 19 14:57:36 PST 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 02:01:28PM -0800, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> There's also a great deal of other material on this
> page that appears as candidates for completing in LSB 4.
> The problem, of course, is that there's far more work
> here than I think anyone would believe current resources
> can complete. Certainly the import/reimport/uplift of
> as many as 50 libraries is a significant bite by any
> measure and the work for LSB4 is not limited to libraries.

Let me suggest one way to prioritize which libraries and to what level
we do our uplift --- and that is simply to maximize the number of
applications --- which are not currently shipping by distributions ---
to be able to certify to LSB 4.0.

For example, it's not clear to me how much OpenSSL should be a
priority.  It may be high on the list of libraries used by
applications, but how high is it if it were ranked by applications
shipping by commercial ISV's as opposed distributions?  Looking at the
list of users of libcrypto, it has many important applications, such
as evolution, curl, apache2, jabber, mutt, jigdo, samba, wget,
etc. --- but these are all open source applications that will ship
with all or nearly all distributions (well, maybe not jigdo; that's a
Debian-specific tool :-).

So this suggests a couple of things.  We need to get more information
into the Database Navigator from as many commercial products as
possible.  It would also be nice if we could enhance the database
navigator have a way of tagging certain products with whether they are
open source or proprietary applications, so we can more easily
generate statistics based on how many open source or proprietary
applications use a particular interface or library.

						- Ted