[lsb-discuss] What version of glibc to target?

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Feb 20 07:45:47 PST 2008

Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 06:23:32AM -0800, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>>> So one thing that I think we should consider is to target LSB 4.0 so
>>> that SLES 10 and RHEL 5 can certify against it.  It might mean
>>> dropping some libraries and functionality, but we can always just
>>> defer some of the to LSB 4.1.
>>
>> I'm rather leary of this; especially if the picture becomes that
>> 4.0 is a small release and 4.1 includes a lot of the uplifts and
>> new functionality.  That will further muddle the picture of what
>> an LSB version means...
>
> Our number one priority has to be making it easy for ISV's to target
> the LSB, not issues of abstract purity of muddling the LSB version.

I don't think it's so abstract.  People have been told for a couple
of years now that major LSB versions are intended to line up with
major enterprise distro versions - this was certainly Ian's mantra.
If LSB 4.0 does not move the playing field forward, and "the next
release does", then maybe LSB 4.0 should be called LSB 3.3 instead,
and the next release be 4.0.