[lsb-discuss] What version of glibc to target?

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Wed Feb 20 08:21:44 PST 2008

I will chime in here and hopefully paraphrase what Ted and Mats have
said:

Major release numbers 4.x, 5.x of the LSB should be a signal to both
ISVs and Distribution vendors of:

o major new functionality
o changes to binary compatibility

Minor release numbers (X.1, X.2, etc.) should be

o tightening up of specifications
o fixes to the specification
o *minor* *additions* to the specification for new functionality

At Digital we had a third level to the numbering scheme (X.x.a) where
the "a" was an architecture dependent release.

Coupled with this numbering scheme is a roadmap that is at least two
major releases out, so people could plan where to do their work.
Therefore the customers could make a decision if they were going to
support a "4.0" release, a "4.1" release or skip directly to a "5.0"
release.

Sorry if this email is redundant to y'all, but the numbering scheme
worked well for us, and our customers appreciated the planning it
enabled.

md

--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association
Board Member Emeritus: USENIX Association (2000-2006)

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several
countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used
pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.