[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2008-02-20

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed Feb 20 09:08:08 PST 2008

Attendees: Jeff, Russ Herrold, Sam, Dan Kohn, Stew, George Kraft, Ted,
Darren Davis, Mats, Marc Miller, Jesper, Kay Tate, Vladimir, Alexey.

Jeff: making changes to bzr.  Commit messages are now going to
lsb-messages.  Will be upgrading the repository formats; everyone should
be looking at upgrading their bzr to 0.92 or better.

Java.  Jeff heard a video podcast with some Java folks, sent them email.
  Someone should be joining the conversation from Sun soon.

Ted: looking at next round of distros; 1st quarter 2009, could slip.
Enterprise targeting will be for current generation for the next few
years.  RHEL 6/SLES 11 won't be directly targeted for a while.  Should
LSB 4 target the current enterprise distros?  Easier to target, less
guesswork involved.  Goerge: LSB 3.3?  Ted: how do we define versions?
Will there be a substantial enough change?  Backwards compatibility vs.
enterprise distro changes.  Russ: will always develop to the lowest
common denominator.  Jeff: still backward incompatible changes even in
RHEL 5.  Russ: ship multiple binaries?  Jeff: apps vs. distros; LSB 3
apps will run on LSB 4 distros, but LSB 4 apps may not run on LSB 3
distros.  Russ: SpikeSource is developing for LSB 3 for that reason.
Ted: how long will the enterprise distros maintain compatibility back to
the RHEL 3 timeframe?  Russ: trust ISV deployment.  RHEL 3 is starting
to die off.    Jeff: support RHEL 4 for LSB 4?  Some of that isn't going
to happen; Qt 4 isn't in RHEL 4.  Darren: major bump in LSB reflect
major bump in distros?  Ted: want to attract more ISVs.  Jeff: tension
between newer core and newer features.  Darren: the distros probably
won't pull in changes just to do LSB 4 on the older distros.  Ted: the
idea would be that RHEL 5 and SLES 10 won't need to change to certify to
LSB 4.0.  Dan: could also certify the older distros ourselves;
continuous testing against the major enterprise distros in the 4.0
process.  Russ: this seems to satisfy both ISV concerns.  Ted: also
helps the development process; if we make decisions in April, will we
know what RHEL 6/SLES 11 by then?  Also, ISVs won't ship for a long time.

Kay: Java in a service pack for the distros?  Ted: they ship now.  Kay:
do they have all the stuff they're supposed to?  Ted: once we have Java
sections of the spec, shouldn't be too difficult to do that as a service
pack.

Ted: need Canonical and Red Hat people on the call.  Jeff: SuSE too;
Darren is more the ISV side of Novell.

Ted: we should target RHEL5, SLES10, and Ubuntu Hardy for 4.0.  Make
sense?  Jeff: should be plenty to do.  Pain of prediction.  LSB 5?  Ted:
don't want to make that decision now.  Maybe do LSB 5 by end of 2009,
assuming on-time release of LSB 4.

Jeff: what does that mean in terms of work?  Stack checking, gcc 4.x
C++, long-double.  Ted: missing features in 2.5 may not be so
interested.  Hash style may be the hot issue; need to check whether
having both hashes breaks glibc 2.4 systems (SLES 10).  Mats: in 3.x, we
force the old hash because of a gcc bug; should check to see if that's
fixed.

Jeff: should post the proposal to the list.  Ted will do it.

Kay: Navigator updates due today, not done yet because of staff issues.
  Will probably be a week late.  Ted: still important.  Kay: will cut
off if need be, and do more later.