[lsb-discuss] What version of glibc to target?

Robert Schweikert robert.schweikert at mathworks.com
Wed Feb 20 11:10:37 PST 2008

<snip>
> On the other hand: For the success of LSB, I do think we should target
> these current enterprise releases - if the schedule for 4.0 is still end
> of 2008 and will be kept.

I agree with Andreas.

There are a few issues to consider for ISVs. First off, as Ted mentioned
the adoption of newer distributions by customers. Even if customers
install SLES 11 and/or RHEL 6 soon after they are released there will
not be a wholesale change. Meaning SLES 10 and RHEL 5 support will be
important for ISVs for a long time. We are just getting over the RHEL 3
problem, thus we should do our best not to create a SLES 10/RHEL 5
problem. This would dictate that LSB 4.0 specifies glibc 2.4. Secondly,
it will take ISVs probably the better part of a year to get certified
after the LSB contains the interfaces a given application needs. If this
process can be started sooner, i.e. on existing distributions than ISVs
can get a head start on the certification process.

Robert