[lsb-discuss] What version of glibc to target?

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Tue Feb 26 08:11:23 PST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:59:20AM +0100, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, Theodore Tso wrote:
>
> > So for example, I'd prefer being able to push for LSB 4.0 to target
> > glibc 2.5, since among other things glibc 2.5 has the real-time
> > priority inheritance mutex support.  But given that SLES 10 is at
> > glibc 2.4, we wouldn't do that.
>
> SLES 10 glibc is only symbol version wise on 2.4 level.
> I don't know if the whole real-time priority inheritance mutex support
> is without interface/binary changes, but I know we backported
> some of the code for SLERT.
> But we will not backport code which needs a new symbol version (like
> 2.5).
>
> So it would be interesting to see what is really missing from
> SLES10 glibc in regards to glibc 2.5.

Thanks, that's useful to know.

With respect to the interfaces in glibc 2.5 that are not in glibc 2.4,
but which might meet the criteron on, "would not prevent SLES10,
RHEL5, and Ubuntu Hardy from certifying", I believe we should not want
to add the interface unless there were specific, significant ISV
applications that would require it --- simply from a simplicity point
of view, especially with respect to the Sample Implementation.

I know you can backport the priority inheritance into older versions
of glibc; I also know how much effort was involved with the IBM
Real-Time team who originally did the backport, and then how much
testing was done afterwards.  :-)

					- Ted