[lsb-discuss] RFC: Berlin Packaging API

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed Feb 27 13:01:37 PST 2008

Many of you may remember, way back when, getting together (or hearing
about a get-together) to talk about issues with ISV software
installation and packaging.  This would have been in December 2006, in
Berlin, Germany.

The one proposal from that meeting we all agreed on was that we needed a
cross-package-system API for third-party installers to tell the package
manager about the software they install.  A summary of that proposal can
be found here:

https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/packaging/2007-January/000376.html

Since that time, there have been a few meetings reaffirming the need for
this API, but little actual work.

To try and move this proposal forward, I've created a wiki page at the
Linux Foundation site:

https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Berlin_Packaging_API

This page now contains a straw-man API proposal.  My intent is to
implement this proposal for RPM and dpkg once it passes muster, and
propose the API for inclusion into RPM and dpkg.

We'd love for all interested parties to provide feedback, either on the
wiki or via E-mail.